Getting Referred

Print Icon

You can ask your child’s doctor, nurse or any other health professional involved in your child’s care at Children's Health Ireland (CHI) at Crumlin, to contact a paediatric psychologist on your behalf.  Formal referrals are co-ordinated through your child's treating medical consultant.

After you or your child's first meeting with the psychologist, the psychologist may suggest further sessions with you, other members of your family or your child alone.  We would discuss in advance with you what these sessions would entail.  We may sometimes involve other team members if we think they may be able to help.  With your permission, it may also be helpful for us to contact the people who care for your child locally, for example, your child’s school, their community nursing team, social worker, GP or health visitor. 

In some situations, it might be arranged for you to receive help and support nearer to your home.  For example, we could liaise with local social services to find out what practical supports may be available, or we could refer your child to your local Primary Care psychology service or to your local Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) to help with emotional or behavioural difficulties.